Business cards are an essential tool in every business person’s kit, but it is surprising how many people can get this little piece of card wrong. Below are five mistakes you want to avoid making with your business cards.
1. Poor quality card – Business cards need to be made out of something substantial, so do not go for the cheapest option when it comes to the card they are printed on. Basically, avoid anything that feels like paper because it will make you look cheap.
2. Missing contact name – A business card is given out because it offers a way for a person to get in touch with you. If your name isn’t on the card, they won’t know who gave it to them or who to ask for if they want your services. Ensure your name is on your card.
3. No email address – Email is a convenient contact method and many people prefer to use it to make first contact. You could be missing out on new leads if you fail to include an email address on your card. Also, keep it as short as possible. Long email addresses are a pain to type.
4. No mobile number – Landline numbers lend credibility to your business, but you shouldn’t limit the ways people can get in touch with you. If you have a mobile you use for business, include its number on your card.
5. No business identifier – If your company name doesn’t say exactly what you do, like Fred Jones, Plumber, make sure that you have a strapline or tagline, or at least wording that states what the business provides. So, for example, if your business name is Steptoe and Son, then include the words Scrap Merchants just underneath so people know what it is you do.
Make the right impression with a business card that avoids all of these mistakes.
I am a Copywriter, Proofreader, Virtual Secretary and Author.